logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch review please] Further work for Receivers backport to 1.2
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:27:42 GMT

On Apr 17, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've completed porting the remaining Receiver classes to the
> sandbox area.  The below patch is what I have locally, and taking
> the generated jar and adding it as a dependency to Chainsaw makes
> everything compile nicely.  I am not able to do any testing on this
> as yet, and figure a patch review is probably worthwhile at this
> stage.
>
> These are all baseline copies from the log4j trunk.  The DB* stuff
> needed more fiddling than the others.  I had to comment out all
> internal logging statements in the DBAppender because
> AppenderSkeleton in 1.2 does not provide that.  There is no concept
> of a sequence # either, so I munged that in the insert statement so
> that all the inserts have '0' as a sequence value.  Given
> LoggingEvent in 1.2 doesn't have that anyway, I figure that's ok..
>
> Curty, Scott and others, any chance you could review this please
> before I check it in?
>
> (Note: I'll fix checkstyle issues later, I know there's tabs
> everywhere sorry)

Maybe you could fake out the getLogger() calls like

       private static final class LogLogger {
            public void debug(final String msg) {
                 LogLog.debug(msg);
            }
           public void warn(final String msg) {
                 LogLog.warn(msg);
           }
          public void error(final String msg, final Throwable ex) {
                LogLog.error(msg, ex);
         }
      }
      private static final LogLogger getLogger() {
         return new LogLogger();
      }

and access the "sequence number" through another private method:

     private static long getSequenceNumber(final LoggingEvent event) {
          return 0;
     }

That should allow the body of the functional methods to be unchanged
between 1.3 and 1.2.x.  Only the kludge methods would need to change
to switch between 1.3 and 1.2.

In DBReceiverJob.java, I'm unclear why you are doing:

Object msg = null;
msg = rs.getString(3);

instead of:

Object msg = rs.getString(3);

p.s. Only my Aunt Louise gets to call me Curty