logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Wyss Patrick" <Patrick.W...@mobilesolutions.ch>
Subject AW: log4j 1.3 PatternLayout repackaging and initial log4j 2.0 work
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:46:57 GMT
> > synchronization.  Many classes of appenders will need to be
> > synchronized at some point on a shared resource (a file for
> > example), but the framework should allow fully concurrent
> appenders
> > (for example, an appender that simply discards messages should not
> > require any synchronization).
> >

> So, we'd need to document that Appender & Layout 3rd party
> developers
> would need to design for thread-safety?  That log4j2 would not
> guarantee thread-safety on the call to the layout/appender?

just a small thought:
as threadsafe programming seems to be a problem for lots of programmers it would be certainly
a good idea to provide some AppenderSkeleton and SychronizedAppenderSkeleton. actually i even
think the naming should rather be the other way round with syncronized appenders as 'default'
starting point: AppenderSkeleton and 'UnsychronizedAppenderSkeleton' (obviously i'm not nativ
english speaker ;-) )

regards
patrick wyss