logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:35:00 GMT
At 11:34 PM 4/3/2007, Curt Arnold wrote:

>Unfortunately, log4j 1.3 development proceed for a substantial amount
>of time with little concern with compatibility with compatibility
>with log4j 1.2 and the primary developer of log4j 1.3 has left for
>other projects.  We are left trying to remedy the situation we are
>in.  There have definitely been incremental releases in the log4j
>1.2.x branch and may continue to be so, but the code is very dated
>and extremely difficult to modify without potential compatibility
>issues.

Little concern with compatibility, that is
certainly not correct. My concern is to produce
the best library possible within the constraints
imposed by the resources available. As such,
although important, backward compatibility is not
my ultimate yardstick. It is easy to qualify each
and every incompatible change as reckless.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch