logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:14:15 GMT
At 09:09 AM 4/3/2007, Paul Smith wrote:

>My somewhat superficial scan over logback shows a lot of promise from
>an end user point of view.  I would certainly be interested in
>exploring that as an option.  This is where licenses, politics and
>marketing all come to a head which are never fun.

:-)

>* Is bringing logback into Apache something the logback community
>would even remotely consider? Ceki, I know you're watching, do you
>think that it might obtain wider exposure by coming under the
>logging.apache.org banner?  Is that something that you've ever
>thought of?  I totally respect the community logback has already
>established.

Yes, I have given it some thought. Logback would
certainly gain wider exposure coming under the
l.a.o. banner. However, I am more interested in
the log4j developer community. Perhaps log4j
developers interested in log4j 2.0 could join
logback? Not the same level of exposure, but the
challenge and the fun is there.

>* Would the Apache dev community even consider looking at that sort
>of proposal?
>
>Apache log4j has a decent 'brand' behind it, and many people are
>familiar with it and support it, but we've become stagnant, and
>perhaps people are moving on.  The logback project, if 'absorbed' as
>a new log4j version could well gain bigger traction quickly purely
>because of that brand and revitalize logging.apache.org as a broader
>community (I'm thinking non-java languages here).      What we want
>is a healthy dev community, and right now I'm not sure we(log4j) have
>one.  Curt's been the only one doing anything recently.

Logback is advancing at a very nice pace. Any
absorption into Apache is likely to break some of
the momentum we currently have, albeit it is a possibility worth considering.

>I'd be keen to consider starting Chainsaw v3 from scratch along side
>any post-log4j1.3-type operation and build in exceptional support for
>enterprise log management, but I'm only one person, and I know many
>of us are incredibly busy, but we were so active there for a while I
>think of the potential of what we could achieve! :)  From a Java
>point of view I think many of the Java 1.4+ network library, and
>java.util.concurrent stuff could be well used in a new logging package.

I would certainly be interested in Chainsaw v3. How about doing it in logback?

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch