logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Isuru Suriarachchi" <isur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tailing capability for VFS log Receiver in Chainsaw
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:57:08 GMT
Hi Scott,

I changed the proposal according to your suggestions and now I feel lot more
comfortable as it is exactly under your recommendation. :-)

On 3/22/07, Scott Deboy <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com> wrote:

>  Looks good…here are some changes I'd suggest (requesting new features
> along the way):
>

> I'd suggest you work on things in this order:
>

> - Implement tailing capability in the VFS log viewer
>
> 2 weeks
>

> - Add ability to remember filter expressions and search expressions
> between Chainsaw restarts
>
> 2 weeks
>

> - (NEW) add goto-line feature with keyboard shortcut
>
> 5 days

- got  a week

- (NEW) add ability to hide/show welcome and drag & drop tabs and remember
> that setting between restarts
>
> 5 days

- got a week

- (NEW) maintain selected line when applying a filter if the selected line
> passes the filter expression
>
> 5 days

- got a week

- Improve the receiver creation panel and ability to change receiver
> configurations in runtime
>
> 2 weeks
>

> - Improve the Chainsaw documentation and tutorials according to the new
> features and improvements
>
> 1 week
>

> The expression mechanism could be a time sink.  I'd suggest making it one
> of those 'try to fit it in' tasks, unless you're really interested in it.
> I'd say the same for changing how colors are persisted, since it's not been
> an issue up to this point.
>

> I'd also suggest changing the description of 'main goal' of the project to
> something about 'adding functionality and usability improvements to
> Chainsaw'.
>

> Hope this helps – let me know what you think.

Yes why not, as you are the main designers of Chainsaw. Thanks a lot...

One more thing.. I think the mentors also have to register and there is some
sort of a voting going on when selecting the proposals in Apache, isn't it?
So please pay your attention on that..

Thanks,
~Isuru

Scott Deboy