logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Enhancements to Chainsaw
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:51:54 GMT
David Smiley wrote:
> Greetings.  I've been a user of log4j for quite some time and only recently
> have been exposed to Chainsaw.  At work ( http://www.mitre.org MITRE ) I've
> been tasked to come up with a log viewer (for in-house use) that has a set
> of features that are relatively close to what Chainsaw has.  Instead of
> re-inventing the wheel, I'm going to enhance Chainsaw.  I don't think any of
> the enhancements would require any drastic refactoring... but I have not
> fully absorbed the source yet.  Assuming MITRE approves release of my work
> to open-source (which I think they will; but I have to get through some red
> tape first), it would be awesome if the community would accept any of my
> contributions.  The enhancements I am about to get started on are roughly as
> follows:
>
> 1. Via XSLT, support importing of log-files that are in other XML formats.
> Presently, there is some class file, I forget what it's named, called
> something like LogFileXMLReceiver.  I'd either enhance that to give it
> flexibility, or make another similar receiver.

While I'm normally a big XSLT fan, I'd venture that this approach won't
scale well to logs of large size since XSLT implementations are
generally based on some form of DOM.

Now if you have something that grabs in chunks of log elements, wraps
them in a root element, and transforms this chunk, that would be
alright.  [Also the commercial version of Saxon supposedly streams where
possible (it is simply not possible if you use some XSLT functionality).]

--
Jess Holle