logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anybody home?
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:52:59 GMT
Hi,

On 11/12/06, Jacob Kjome <hoju@visi.com> wrote:

> Maybe its time for new blood?  If existing Log4j developers can't put
> in the time necessary to move things along as fast as the community
> would like, then it might be time to accept some new developers from
> the community that are willing to keep things moving.

That's what I was thinking too.  That's why I asked if there were
patches ready from a couple of people, so that we can review them for
quality and such before or during a committership vote.

>  Elias, are you
> volunteering?  Users like Kay Abendroth, who has been extremely busy
> the last couple days canvassing Bugzilla reports, may be what we need
> to move things along.

+1.

> Of course, some evidence of providing quality patches and general
> dedication are prerequisites to becoming a candidate for committer
> access to the project, as well as having been nominated by a
> committer (I'm not 100% sure of all the Apache rules for committer
> access?).  Maybe some of the other committers can chime in here.  I
> don't want to start nominating people before we get a consensus of
> what approach, if any, should be taken.

A committer's gotta nominate a contributor, the PMC has to approve.
It's pretty simple in that technical regard.  Different people have
different personal criteria for voting on a new committer.
Personally, for a project approaching dormancy, my criteria are lower
than usual: a few good patches, some demonstrated energy on the
mailing lists, and a good attritude.

> Thoughts?

If you've got someone you want to nominate, g'ahead.

Yoav