logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Lima" <onl...@l3o.net>
Subject Re: Enhanced FileAppender
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:17:33 GMT
Hello.

"Bender Heri" <HBender@Ergonomics.ch> escreveu na mensagem
news:3FE38194C8A3334A959B64B7D9A1E27B6E318D@plejaden.seychelles.ergo...
> great that now a real discussion about my proposal is launched and you,
> Curt, want to setup a new project for it. But I am sorry that I have
> nearly no time for helping. I see my contribution to log4j in helping
> people on the user list.

That's too bad that you can't have more time for helping, but just adding to
the discussion is already enough.

> 1. If the problem with the append property could be solved I see no
> problems why not implementing the enhancement in FileAppender itself.
> Consideration: If the value of append is true there is no problem with the
> new solution. If it is false, the user wants to override the file at every
> app start. The new solution has in my opinion no use case to set the
> append property to false. So we could implement it like this:
>   - if the FileNameBuilder is configured, append is always true
>   - if the FileNameBuilder is not configured, append behaves in the old
> way.

I agree.

> 3. The configured file name can be used as base when building the concrete
> filename

That's what KeyFileAppender does, and I think it's enought. But, sure, if
I'd like to split the files on directories, I guess it would be no use? Or
if we make the File name have special meaning like $X{mdc values}, that
would be cool. Can it be done now?

> 4. Why afraid of Thread for implementing the internal file garbage
> collector? But it's also OK to execute the GC whenever a new file should
> be opened.

I don't know. Since I read that JEE doesn't allow user threads and I use
log4j inside a JEE env, I'm paranoid about it. I think the GC on new file
creation is good enough. No need to timeout, only limiting to max open
files.

> 5. I like the suggestion of Patrick that a user can force the file closing
> by a special log message at the end of a session.

I like the MDC 'close' message way. That could be done, yes.

Regards,
Leo.