logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Wyss" <Patrick.W...@mobilesolutions.ch>
Subject AW: Re: Enhanced FileAppender
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:18:56 GMT
> Well, in recurrent scheduling servers that open a log file
> per schedule,
> that would be totally necessary. I, for example, must use
> something that has
> append in it...

i think what curt meant was that *only* append=true makes sense here...
so that's why it should not be possible to set the property to false.

but maybe instead of subclassing FileAppender it would make more sense anyway to use the decorator
pattern. =>  "MultiFileAppender" which takes a FileAppender as parameter. so you could
wrap it around any existing FileAppenders.

> > At least not use a thread to manage it by default.  Maybe an optional
> > parameter to specify a timer interval or an public method that an
> > interested user could add to a scheduler.
>
> Fine by me. But I think the default should be a pool and the
> checks should
> be done when creating a new file descriptor...

i think a pool of configurable size is enough. starting new threads in log4j is IMO no good
idea anyway...

cheers
patrick