logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Chainsaw Add Column
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 03:24:33 GMT
Columns are automatically created in Chainsaw when a receiver sees an event containing an MDC
entry or an event property.

If you are using (VFS)LogFilePatternReceiver to process a log file generated using fileappender,
you can specify the MDC entries in your conversion pattern on the fileappender, and specify
those MDC entries in the filepatternreceiver using 'PROP(KEYNAME)' in the logformat.

Chainsaw V2 SocketReceiver may be able to receive events generated by log4j 1.2 SocketAppender
- for a long time the serialization mechanism was broken if the log4j 1.2-generated event
contained MDC or location info...that may be fixed - I haven't tested it recently.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201