logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contributing with a Configurable Hibernate Appender
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:26:54 GMT
Stefano,
Thanks for suggesting your contribution!  We always welcome new
contributors and their work.  See more comments inline:

> http://www.entwash.org/hibernate/
<snip />
> so i take inspiration and made a Configurable Hibernate Appender... it's the
> first time i develop an appender so i'm not sure of some aspect...

Can you elaborate a little bit on "i take inspiration" above?
Specifically, if you copied any parts of the entwash.org
implementation (which is totally fine, not a crime or shame, don't
worry about admitting it), what is the license of the original entwash
code?

The reason we ask is that code contributed to the Apache Software
Foundation will be licensed under the Apache License (v2.0, see
details at http://www.apache.org/licenses/), and if you're using parts
of some existing code that's not licensed the same way, we need to ask
the original authors for permission.

> Wich is the best way to contribute & review my code..... I have to build
> some (JUnit) test? open a sourceforge account/project?
> Send it in this ng?

One good way to go is to open a new enhancement request in our issue
tracker: http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Log4j.
 Describe your enhancement, what you've done, and attach the code.

Unit tests and any other information you can provide, e.g.
documentation, are much appreciated.  Attach them to the issue in the
issue tracker.

Once you've created this issue, let us know by posting here on the
mailing list, and ask for comments.  Other developers and users will
hopefully take the time to look at your contribution and reply with
questions.  Watch both this mailing list and the issue tracker for
updates.

> And Some tech for example.... i need to have different parameters for

I cut out the other more technical things in your message.  First
please do the above, then we can discuss the technical details
further.

And thanks again!

Yoav