logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: 1.3-alpha8 - Extending TimeBasedRollingPolicy
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:05:33 GMT
Hello Lyall,

Pearce, Lyall wrote:
> I am unsure if this is more a user or developer question, I will lean
> towards developer unless told otherwise.
> log4j1.3-alpha8 has a nice class TimeBasedRollingPolicy
> (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api-1.3/org/apache/log4j/rolling/T
> imeBasedRollingPolicy.html)
> The Primary question: Why are the classes marked final? Why can't I
> extend a log4j class?
I am not a log4j developer. I have seen the discussions about
compatibility on this list for the development of log4j 1.3
and the enormous efforts spend on compatibility.
It is very hard to change the internal implementation of an class if
lots of people are extending it and relying on a specific
If you want to have your homegrown XYZPolicy: Copy the code, implement
the interface and use it.
If log4j developers want to change something, they just have to care
that the interface is not broken, but they can
change the other class without braking anyones code.