logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r391905 - in /logging/log4j/trunk: docs/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/joran/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/spi/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/watchdog/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/xml/ tests/input/watchdog/ tests/src/java/org/
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:10:55 GMT

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Mark Womack wrote:
> Hm.  That implies that the Watchdog will need to be configured with
> what kind of input type to give to the configurator, since
> InputSource will not generically work with all configurators (like
> PropertyConfigurator).  Or I could add doConfigure(File) to
> ConfiguratorEx.  That is probably better.

I don't see any reason why PropertyConfigurator could not have a
doConfigure(InputSource) method.  ConfiguratorEx is a new interface,
so there is no compatibility issue.  If a configurator wants to
support ConfiguratorEx, it can add a doConfigure(InputSource,
LoggerRepository).

> But another question is what is going to happen when I add
> HttpWatchdog and SocketWatchdog this weekend?  How would they
> resolve the location of the filespec?  Or would it need to specify
> the ENTITY in a different way, maybe as a url?

An HttpWatchdog (or any watchdog that is representing a resource that
can be addressed with a URL) would just call configurator.doConfigure
(new InputSource("http://www.example.org/foo/log4j.xml"), repository)
which would provide the base URL for any entities (so in the example
the external entity would be resolved as http://www.example.org/foo/
stdAppenders.xml).  Don't know about the SocketAppender, I assume
that you'd only have a Reader or an InputStream (both of which can be
represented in an InputSource).  You couldn't use a configuration
file with external entities with relative URL's since there'd be no
base URL, however that should be acceptable.  It wouldn't be like the
file scenario where it would successfully parse on the initial pass
and then start failing on the watchdog.