logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Pearce, Lyall" <lyall.pea...@eds.com>
Subject RE: 1.3-alpha8 - Extending TimeBasedRollingPolicy
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:45:53 GMT
Hi Boris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I find it 'strange' that we are using a language that is all about
extending and re-using and here we are espousing locking down and
non-reuse. We might as well be writing log4j in C for all the
extensibility we have. Regardless, I gave up on the approach I proposed
earlier.

I am not sure I agree with this position but I am sure it has all been
thrashed out before I joined this list.

...Lyall

-----Original Message-----
From: Boris Unckel [mailto:boris.unckel.mlg@gmx.net]
Sent: Friday, 21 April 2006 5:36 AM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: Re: 1.3-alpha8 - Extending TimeBasedRollingPolicy

Hello Lyall,

Pearce, Lyall wrote:
> I am unsure if this is more a user or developer question, I will lean
> towards developer unless told otherwise.
>

> log4j1.3-alpha8 has a nice class TimeBasedRollingPolicy
> (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api-1.3/org/apache/log4j/rolling
> /T
> imeBasedRollingPolicy.html)
>
> The Primary question: Why are the classes marked final? Why can't I
> extend a log4j class?
I am not a log4j developer. I have seen the discussions about
compatibility on this list for the development of log4j 1.3 and the
enormous efforts spend on compatibility.
It is very hard to change the internal implementation of an class if
lots of people are extending it and relying on a specific behaviour.
If you want to have your homegrown XYZPolicy: Copy the code, implement
the interface and use it.
If log4j developers want to change something, they just have to care
that the interface is not broken, but they can change the other class
without braking anyones code.

Regards
Boris