logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>
Subject Re: Detection of design defects
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:06:29 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Yann-Ga&euml;l Gu&eacute;h&eacute;neuc wrote:
develop a
framework to describe design defects synthetically and to detect these
in program source code automatically. We are currently performing
experiments to assess our detection algorithms.
If anybody is considering using that reverse engineering tool you might
also find the following useful.<br>
I'm from University of Banja Luka, Bosnia and Hercegovina and I'm
working on my master thesis : "detection of repetition in source code
using Grid". I developed so far two detection tools : <br>
- Duploc<br>
- Simloc<br>
This new tool Simloc (beta available on email request) you might find
interesting. <br>
It is the tool for detecting similar chunks of code (blocks of code).
It use modification of LCS algorithm (similar to approximate pattern
matching algorithms). <br>
Somebody mentioned PMD. <br>
PMD/CPD is the tool which can find EXACT repeated chunks of code. This
new tool Simloc can find SIMILAR chunks of code. PMD/CPD is blasingly
fast software. There are software like Simloc like SimScan Eclipse
plug-in, but SimScan is very slow. Simloc is a few times faster than
SimScan and what is very important it is designed to be able to run on
parallel on clusters and grids. Simloc is also proposal within
Simloc generate the output in XML form so far like:<br>
<title>NASLOV RADA NA SRPSKOM JEZIKU</title>
	<!--
		@page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in }
		P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
	-->
 face="Courier New, monospace">&lt;simloc
file1="FileName1.java" file2="FileName2.java"&gt;</font>
location1="123" location2="344" quality="554"
/&gt;</font>
location1="437" location2="514" quality="187"
/&gt;</font>
- it shows progress <br>
- for large projects it can run significantly faster on one computer<br>
- it can be run on grid or cluster<br>
SimScan is almost unuseful even for mid-size project like Ant.<br>
So, if there are people involved in any open source projects who want
to see Simloc's results for any open source projects and to try to use
its output to improve that project, they can send me an email for :<br>
- get the results of any Open Source projects<br>
or<br>
- get the Simloc source and executable to run it themselves.<br>
Simloc will be available for public download as far as it is properly
tested.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Mladen Adamovic
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.shortopedia.com">http://www.shortopedia.com</a>