logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [COMPATIBILITY] Internal logging
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:46:09 GMT

On Jan 3, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I don't have a misunderstanding of the issues involved, I'm just
> wondering how common it is for our users to:
> 1. Use root logger to configure logging verbosity
> 2. Not want log4j output in those logs
> If so, they'd be -forced- to modify their log4j config file unless
> we provided some reasonable mechanism for enabling internal logging.
> Scott

The problem (or at least surprise) is aggravated by log4j
(particularly the JoranConfigurator) using INFO level messages for
things that many users would have placed at DEBUG or TRACE.  Deciding
exactly level a message deserves is value judgement, but when
developers have decided that INFO messages are fairly significant in
their app, having their small number of INFO messages getting swamped
with log4j INFO messages informing the user that a constructor was
called is unpleasant.  Moving messages that would only be of concern
if you were debugging the behavior of log4j to a lower level may
reduce the annoyance.

I wasn't advocating addressing the issue at the moment.  At this
time, I think it is best to finish off the structural compatibility
issues before addressing the behavioral compatibility issues.