logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [COMPATIBILITY] DOMConfigurator
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:52:19 GMT

On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:07 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

> I'd be ok with this being one of the binary compatibility
> breakages.  I don't believe there would be too many people that had
> extended from DOMConfigurator.

I'm okay with it too, at least for this iteration.  I assume that
we'd both like the configureAndWatch methods added back to
DOMConfigurator and PropertyConfigurator.

Other areas that seem to be prime candidates for tolerable binary
compatibility breaks:

Extensions of PatternLayout (pattern parser internals rewritten)
Extensions of o.a.l.RFA and o.a.l.DRFA (facade over o.a.l.rolling.RFA)

I'm close to finishing changes to WriterAppender and FileAppender so
that extensions have some chance of working.  All the rest of the
changes seem pretty minor.  I might be able to knock one or two more
off, but I need to give log4j a little rest and work on other things.