logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [COMPATIBILITY] Internal logging
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:27:55 GMT

On Jan 3, 2006, at 7:30 AM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> Many people use root loggers, and now log4j's logging will be
> included in their application.
>
> Some folks will see this as an incompatibility - if they expected
> to be able to drop in 1.3 and have their log output look identical
> to how 1.2 behaved.
>
> It will be interesting to hear from users whether this is an issue.
>
> At a minimum, we need to provide a very clear example of how to
> keep log4j internal logging output out of their logs.
>
> We could consider programmatically defaulting log4j output off
> unless log4j.debug=true (if we choose to continue to support
> log4j.debug, which we probably should).
>
> Scott

There have been pretty frequent complaints on the mailing list,
particularly about inconsequential internal INFO messages showing up
in the application log.  The log4j 1.2 unit tests also depend on the
output being free of log4j internal logging.

My thinking is that we should probably move the internal logging into
another branch of the hierarchy (that is loggers starting with
"internal." or "log4j.", not "org.apache.log4j") and set the default
threshold for the internal loggers to ERROR in the Hierarchy
initialization.