logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: questions regarding log4j console prints and rolling file appender
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:38:44 GMT

On Jan 28, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Sumit Kumar wrote:

> Thanks for solving out first Issue for me.
> However the thing which stopped me to move for alpha7 or greater is
> org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender is a final class in them
> and hence is not extensible.
> Its good enough for me if some one can make it extensible in alpha -8,
> gives me all reasons to move for alpha 8 !!

The behavior of o.a.l.rolling.RollingFileAppender is customizable by
replacing the triggering policy and rolling policy objects.  Those
are the anticipated extension points.  Please explain what type of
behavior change you are trying to achieve.  If they can't be
accomplished through the either the triggering policy or rolling
policy, then we can consider modifying TriggeringPolicy or
RollingPolicy, provide yet another extension point or (unlikely)
removing the final keyword.

For background on why final is our friend, see items 14 and 15 in
"Effective Java".