logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [COMPATIBILITY] LoggerRepository & LoggerRepositoryEx
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:25:45 GMT

On Jan 3, 2006, at 12:00 AM, Mark Womack wrote:

> I see that we moved the methods that had been added to
> LoggerRepository for 1.3 into LoggerRepositoryEx.
>
> My question is why?  Is it very likely that any users of log4j have
> implemented their own instance of LoggerRepository and not used the
> version implemented in Hierarchy?  Where would they even override
> not using Hierarchy in favor of their own implementation?

> I'll keep looking at it, but was wondering...

Adding back LoggerRepository.addHierarchyEventListener (superceded by
addLoggerEventListener) was necessary.  Splitting out the newly added
methods into a distinct interface so that custom implementations of
1.2.x LoggerRepository would still work (to some degree) with log4j
1.3 may or may not have been overkill.

I thought that some of the inversion of control approaches may have
depended on providing custom implementations of LoggerRepository.
Category appears to have been designed to allow independent
implementations of LoggerRepository (otherwise the type of repository
member would have been Hierarchy and not LoggerRepository).  Whether
or not anybody actually used log4j like that in the wild, I do not know.