logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: questions regarding log4j console prints and rolling file appender
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:10:11 GMT
Quoting Sumit Kumar <sumitk@novell.com>:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I am using log4j alpha6 for logging. Quite good, but still facing few
> problems and need you help ..
>
> 1. While configure, there were many messages printed on the console. I
> set LogLog.setQuiteMode(true) and many of the messages gone away. But
> still there are few messages printed on the console.
> As I am developing a CLI, I can not afford any such messages on the
> console.
> Here are the messages printed:
>
> *** configurationOptionStr=log4j.properties
> ** End of LogManager static initializer
> (there are direct SOPs .. can we comment them out .. or use logger to
> do so)
>
> 0 [main] WARN org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter - No such property
> [storeLocation] in org.apache.log4j.Hierarchy.
> 1 [main] WARN org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter - No such property
> [logStyle] in org.apache.log4j.Hierarchy.
> (Here xyz is the variable I am using for configuring some property of
> my own and not related to log4j .However I feel there must be some way
> to stop printing such messages on the console.)

This is the case for Log4j-1.3 alphas less than 7.  You need to upgrade.  The
forced logging was there for debugging purposes in the development of
Log4j-1.3.  They are removed in alpha7.  Alpha 8 is now out.  You should move
to that.

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/log4j-1.3a8/

> 2. I am extending RollingFileAppender to customize it for my purpose.
> However this class is final in alpha-7 and 8 builds.
> Can we make it extensible ??

I'm not sure where this landed or if a final decision has been made.  Lots of
work is going into making Logj4-1.3 binary compatible with 1.2.  But I'm not
sure if some of the wrapper classes are going to be removed.  I suggest looking
in at the classes in the "rolling" package and extending one of those.

Jake