logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Elias Ross <er...@m-qube.com>
Subject RE: Experimental log4j formatter in sandbox
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:51:14 GMT

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 12:33 -0800, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I may be in the minority (I'm sure I am), but slf4j's change to
> require logger.debug(string) instead of object may have a performance
> rationale

One thing I like the log4j design, was being able to log non-string
objects.  I've used it for heartbeats and database logging where the
columns were specified within the structure passed in.

In regards to designing APIs around performance concerns, the
performance concerns today probably aren't going to exist tomorrow.
Object allocation, for example, is purportedly just around 10 machine
instructions to execute.