logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: [COMPATIBILITY] Internal logging
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:49:22 GMT
Quoting Scott Deboy <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com>:

> I don't have a misunderstanding of the issues involved, I'm just wondering
> how common it is for our users to:
>
> 1. Use root logger to configure logging verbosity
> 2. Not want log4j output in those logs

2. Not want [name your package here] output in those logs

Best Solution ...

<logger name="com.mycompany.mypackage">
    <level value="DEBUG"/>
</logger>

<!-- suppress verbosity by default -->
<root>
   <level value="WARN"/>
</root>

Alternate solution...

<!-- multiple instances of verbosity suppression loggers -->
<logger name="[some package to suppress]">
    <level value="WARN"/>
</logger>

<!-- enable verbosity by default -->
<root>
   <level value="DEBUG"/>
</root>

> If so, they'd be -forced- to modify their log4j config file unless we
> provided some reasonable mechanism for enabling internal logging.

Again, this is simple education.  If one is willing to take the initiative to
upgrade to Log4j-1.3, knowing that there are a number of changes/additions
(with one of those changes being Log4j internal logging), I think we can expect
that they are willing to update their config file.  This is a minor pain (if one
insists on calling it pain).  Let's not make exceptions to normal behavior
simply to avoid the slight surprise that people may initially have that Log4j
actually uses itself to log in the same way everything else uses Log4j to log.
This problem is not unique.  It's the same problem for any given package that
you can think of that uses Log4j to log messages.

Jake