logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Womack" <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject [COMPATIBILITY] DOMConfigurator
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:00:59 GMT
I was looking at this class in regards to compatibility with 1.2.  I was
interested in restoring the configureAndWatch methods.  This should be easy
to do and just have them use the new Plugin code to provide the same
functionality, but better because now the watchers can be shutdown properly
or stopped and replaced if the methods are called multiple times.

But there are host of other methods that have been removed since
DOMConfigurator now extends and uses JoranConfigurator for its
implementation.  Most of the removed methods were protected, so their
removal should only affect classes that subclass DOMConfigurator.

So, this is one of those questions of how far do we want to do in restoring
binary/source compatibility.  If we use JoranConfigurator, then I think most
of the protected methods make absolutely no sense, but users that have
extended DOMConfigurator will need to rework their code.

-Mark