logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j RSS/ATOM Appender
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:31:21 GMT
Thanks.  Could you review the Apache Contributors License Agreement
(CLA) at http://www.apache.org/licenses/ and see if you'd be in a
position to sign one?

I haven't had a chance to review the code yet, but there are a couple
of areas that concern me: duplication of existing functionality
(rudimentary event buffering sounds like AsyncAppender),
architectural mismatch (RSS support with an appender instead of a
layout), and  the dependence on two additional libraries (ROME and
JDOM).  I'd like to take some time and look at the issue, understand
your requirements, and see if can't do something in the sandbox.

What are your thoughts about an RSSLayout and/or AtomAppender along
the lines of XMLLayout?  Basically, each event would appended to an
XML entity that would be referenced by an XML document that would
provide the channel definition, namespace declarations, etc.  The
serialization code in XMLLayout would be reused so that when the open
issues with it are resolved they would carry over to RSSLayout.