logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: 1.3 Tasks (and beyond)
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:34:17 GMT
Scott Deboy wrote:

> We should define a prioritized feature list.  We could then take one
> of two routes:
>
> Advertise the approximate delivery dates of releases and the features
> planned for inclusion in each release, or
>
> (my preference): deliver releases on a fixed interval, and what we
> have time to include is included.  The JXTA project seems to work this
> way.

Either way I'd like to see a plan for and estimated delivery date of a
log4j 1.3 "development" release that is:

    * [Much more] binary (and source) compatible with log4j 1.2
    * Tackles known syncrhonization issues
    * Is somewhat "solid"
          o In short, could be the basis of testing and early
            development for those looking to support or move to 1.3.
          o This does not mean feature complete or that internal
            implementation details would not still be subject to change.

Such a release could be put forward as a means to prepare for a more
"final" 1.3 release (or 1.3.0 as opposed to 1.3.x release which might
add more features, for instance).  From there clearly communicating
changes to (and not to) expect in follow on 1.3 releases and the plan
for their delivery is a clear next step.

--
Jess Holle