logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy McBride" <andy.mcbr...@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject RE: 1.2.13rc1 build
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:56:49 GMT
Hi,

<snip>

> I'm perplexed by the fix for TRACE level LocationInfo defect (Bug
> 36800).  The only change other than ConsoleAppender change appears to
> be changing the class used in determining the value for Logger.FQCN
> from Level to Logger.  It is not obvious to me (and I didn't follow
> the earlier thread) how this would have only affected the TRACE
> level.  The use of Level does appear to be wrong (the C in the
> variable name stands for Category and Category was replaced by Logger
> not Level), but appears to be a long standing problem.  I'd like to
> understand how it was introduced to the code base in the first place.

It only affects TRACE when used via the new methods introduced in Logger.
If used via a custom wrapper passing the correct FQCN it would work fine.

The passed FQCN is used to work through the stacktrace to determine the
original caller.

These methods incorrectly used the FQCN of the Level class rather than the
Logger class.  All the other log methods debug, info etc are defined in
Category.java which correctly passes its own FQCN to the forcedLog method.

Regards

Andy