logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: The next 1.3 alpha release
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:10:27 GMT
Quoting Mark Womack <mwomack@apache.org>:

> Since no one stated a preference, I will plan on a snapshot release.  I'll
> do this build sometime early next week which should give us a chance to
> update the cvs head with anything that should be in the snapshot.
>
> If you have any issues, let me know.

Looks like the next version of SLF4J will have Marker's removed from the
interface (1).  Hopefully this will happen in the near future so that it can be
integrated with Log4j-1.3 before the snapshot release.  Should be a simpler
effort than what it took to produce the patch Curt wrote up to support a recent
version of SLF4J.

(1) http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=slf4j-dev&m=112523535004386&w=2

BTW, are we ready to say that Log4j-1.3 will support JDK1.3 as a minimum after
jumping through hoops to get Log4j-1.2.12 compatible with JDK1.1+ (which was a
valiant, and necessary, effort given the promises made for minimum JDK support
for the 1.2 branch)?  User's have their 1.2.12 release for earier JDK's.  If
they aren't willing to upgrade the JDK, what are the chances they'll be madly
keeping up with versions of other dependencies?  Let's be realistic and make
life easier for developers and users alike.

Jake