logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.2.12rc3
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:47:50 GMT
Things are not ideal when trying to run log4j 1.2.12 on JDK 1.2 or
1.1 and not at all happy when trying to build it there.  Later javac
compilers should produce bytecode compatible with earlier JVM's, but
when attempting to run log4j on JDK 1.1 or JDK 1.2, you will likely
get a warning like:

> "A nonfatal internal
> JIT (3.00.72b(x)) error 'chgTar: Conditional' has occurred in org/
> apache/logj4/Hierarchy.getLogger()..."

However the application appears to function tolerably.

If you attempt to build log4j with Ant 1.5.4 or later (current is
1.6.5) on JDK 1.2, you will also get the same message but the build
will stall.  Ant 1.5 did not have that problem.  I didn't check
1.5.1, .2 or .3.

JDK 1.2 and earlier compilers had problems with "final" member
variables requiring them to be set at declaration instead of
accepting them being set in the constructor.
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoggingReciever will fail to compile with
early javac due to this compiler bug and could be modified to work
around the compiler bug.

Building log4j on JDK 1.2 requires a jar containing the JNDI API
(javax.naming.Context, etc).  JNDI got bundled into JDK 1.3, but a
quick search did not come up with a jar for JDK 1.2.

All these issues should also exist for log4j 1.2.11, but there have
been no complaints about use of log4j 1.2.11 on older platforms, so
it appears that the universe of users tracking our current releases
are not running on older platforms.

I think going back in time and trying to find a JDK 1.2 compatible
version of Ant, etc, is too destabilizing and not consistent with our
RC's and 1.2.11.

I'd be +1 for proceeding with a candidate build as long as we add a
proviso that running log4j 1.2.12 on JDK 1.2 or 1.1 is not
recommended/tested/supported or something that would hopefully
discourage someone from just dropping in log4j 1.2.12 into a mission
critical JDK 1.1 or 1.2 application.

I have not confirmed that everything is satisfactory on JDK 1.3, but
will before voting on a release.