logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: latest slf4j (was Re: 1.2.12 Open Bug Review)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:36:36 GMT

On Aug 2, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Mark Womack wrote:

> Well, the most interesting slf4j development that I saw recently
> was the new "marker" concept.  Kind of nice way to allow the
> developer to define "aspects" or "concerns" within their code.
> Sure does multiply the number of methods though.  It would be nice
> if there were a way to let the client or configurator control that
> instead of the original developer, but I can't think of a good way
> to achieve that.
>
> I saw that Ceki had updated nlog4j to implement the new marker
> related methods, but just glancing at the changes, they seemed to
> just be pass thrus to the non-marker versions.  Maybe I missed
> something there; I did not have time to look closely.
>
> I don't think the slf4j related changes can make it into 1.2.12,
> and as suspected, the slf4j api is changing and morphing quite a
> bit.  It is a good thing, as the juices are certainly flowing.  I
> think we should revisit the slf4j log4j 1.2 implementation again
> once the api is more "stable".  We can certainly track the api in
> the main branch.
>
> -Mark

I tried to follow the discussion on slf4j-dev.  The marker effort
seems way too experimental and novel to be consistent with the
"Simple Facade" part of SLF4J's full name in my opinion.  I don't
think it has been enshrined into a beta yet.   The log4j CVS HEAD
implementation hasn't been updated from 1.0-beta3 to 1.0beta4 and I
should take a look at that.