logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reconsideration of features for 1.3 (Re: slf4j and log4j)
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 07:22:33 GMT

On May 4, 2005, at 1:04 AM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I agree that LoggingEvent should be serial-compatible with previous
> versions (1.2.7/8 at a minimum).
>
> If Chainsaw were to have its own release cycle, we would release a lot
> more often than log4j and also plan releases to coincide with log4j's
> releases.
>
> As discussed previously, at this point I'd prefer that Chainsaw stay
> as a part of the log4j project -  primarily because the size of the
> developer community is not growing (it's been 2 with a few patches
> from others since it's inception).

I was thinking that independent release cycle implied subproject
status.  Whatever the structure is called that could result in Chainsaw
having independent releases, CVS/SVN module and sharing developer/user
lists and governance would work for me.

> I gave the 'category' -> 'logger' DTD example primarily to show how
> the DTD changed when jdk 1.4 util.logging was released and log4j
> renamed major pieces of their system in order to have names match.
> There's no technical reason we couldn't support the prior DTD in
> XMLDecoder, but I've only seen one person mention this bug and they
> were fine with updating their log4j version to a more recent release
> in order to avoid the problem.

I wouldn't think that would be an issue unless  DTD validation was
enabled.  However, checking o.a.l.x.UtilLoggingXMLDecoder and
XMLDecoder (don't know how they are different) in the logging-log4j
module it seems that not only is it doing a validating parse, it is
building a DOM tree which I would think would make Chainsaw terribly
slow and memory consuming for large log files.