logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <wom...@adobe.com>
Subject slf4j goals (was: RE: [VOTE] slf4j support in log4j 1.2.X)
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 17:39:28 GMT
I need to look at this more myself.  I just want a common logging client
interface that I can use in my code and when I do my deployments that client
interface will use whatever underlying logging framework is specified.

I don't want any complicated discovery mechanism.  I don't want the client
interface implementation to assume anything about my deployment around
isolation, or help with it in any way.  All of that is just very specific to
the framework and/or web container.

I just want to be able to say "use log4j" or "use jdk 1.4 logging" or use
"X" as the underlying logging framework without having to change my client
code; whatever I want to use for the deployment that makes sense for that
deployment.  I'll set up the environment so that it makes sense (ie what
jars are deployed where, isolation at the container level using features
from the logging framework or child-first class loading of web applications,
etc).

Maybe I am just ignorant in the details (a good possibility), but that is
what I want.  Is slf4j going to provide that for me?  If not, what is it
providing then?

-Mark