logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: slf4j and log4j
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 04:49:39 GMT
On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 22:09 -0500, Jacob Kjome wrote:
>  >I am not a member of the slf4j team, so I cannot speak to it's goals, etc.
>
> I think just about any Log4j committer is part of the slf4j team, unless I
> am mistaken.  I'm guessing that this probably also extends to
> commons-logging developers.  In any case, I wouldn't characterize you as
> not being part of the slf4j team.  I think if you show a development or
> steering interest, you are probably part of the team.  Ceki, can you
> clarify this?  I think there is some ambiguity here.  How does one become a
> committer on the slf4j project?  Does one need to have commit access to be
> considered part of the slf4j project team?

Actually, as SLF4J is just 4 simple core classes + 2 classes per
concrete logging library, there isn't much need for a large pool of
committers. I would say 3 people (to ensure project continuity) is as
many as SLF4J would ever need.

The number of people who can *vote* on SLF4J design-related matters is a
different issue. I guess the committers for SLF4J are the ones that
decide the policy on that, but I would recommend that the policy be that
 * the committers on SLF4J
 * plus any committer on log4j
 * plus any committer on JCL
all be entitled to vote, and that voting follow standard ASF procedures.

Regards,

Simon