logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@apache.org>
Subject Chainsaw as seperate CVS module?
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:44:24 GMT
Hey All,

Chainsaw is getting big.  What does everyone think about moving Chainsaw
out into it's own CVS module and making it a 'client' of the log4j
library?

In Eclipse one can make a Project have a dependency on another project,
so that makes it nice from a developer point of view, and from an Ant
point of view we can just have Chainsaw require to be built against
specific log4j jars.

I have the following thoughts going through my mind at the moment that
would require add ingseveral jars to the dependencies of Chainsaw, and
it just might make everyones life easier if it were in a seperate
module.  I'm not too fussed either way, but thought I would float the
idea in case people think it's a good idea.

Anyway, on to some ideas I've been having, comments appreciated:

* VFS[3] - Chainsaw could be _way_ more useful if JSch can be used with
VFS - browse any VFS filestore, including SFTP, so one could access log
files from a protected/remote store. Recently JSch moved from a LGPL
license to BSD, so this should be ok to embed[2]

* Lucene[4] - Be able to index and 'google' log files.  I've been
playing in this area and searching is FAST.  I'm fiddling around to see
how conceptually useful it is to create a Lucene index of sets of log
files, and be able to easily and quickly locate logging information.  At
the moment it's the indexing speed that's not as fast as I would like
(minutes for a 40meg log file), but I'm thinking through some other
options that could speed that process up considerably.

* ZeroConf (aka Rendevouz) - This relies on the LGPL licensed JmDNS[5]
library.  I have successfully created some code that automatically
discovers SocketHubAppenders located on the network.  I foresee a vastly
simpler user experience if log4j-enabled applications using Appenders
with matching Receivers could broadcast their settings via zeroconf.
Within Chainsaw the user could then double click the discovered
appender, and Chainsaw could read/parse and create matching Receivers to
connect to those appenders.  No more XML configs, no more rather lame
Receiver creation dialogs.  Since this is LGPL licensed, I've started
making this as a Plugin (both log4j, and for Chainsaw). I've also
emailed the developers to ask if they would consider dual licensing it
for Apache, but have heard no reponse at this stage.  If there is an
Apache-friendly license that does the same thing, please let me know.

[1] - http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/
[2] - http://wiki.apache.org/old/Licensing
[3] - http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/
[4] - http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html