logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject [POLL] Splitting log4j.jar by dependency
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:08:43 GMT

Hello all,

While performing some tests with Tomcat, I noticed that if log4j.jar
is placed in ./common/lib/, then for example an instance of
SMTAppender cannot be created without placing 'mail.jar' also in
./common/lib/, placing 'mail.jar' in WEB-INF/lib is not enough.

To circumvent this problem, I propose to split log4j.jar by
dependency. For example,

log4j.jar (core classes depending only on JDK 1.2)
log4j-smtp.jar
log4j-jms.jar
log4j-db.jar
log4j-oro.jar
log4j-...

This way, the user wishing to use SMTPAppender in her application can
place log4j-smtp.jar and mail.jar in her application's WEB-INF/lib
directory without the need to add any new jar files in ./common/lib.

Apache Ant has adopted the same approach for similar reasons [1, 2].

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=102689870118435&w=2
[2] http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#delegating-classloader

What do you think?

--