logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: latest build.xml
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:08:37 GMT

Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> The "build" target builds everything so it's expected to fail if
> there  are missing dependencies. If you just need basic log4j, you
> need to call the 'build.core' or 'log4j.jar' targets.
>
> Since it now depends on build.chainsaw instead of "build", the
> webstart target should work now.

Many thanks for that!

> Regarding the "webstart-dependant-receivers.jar" target, I think it is
> no longer needed in its current form since there is now log4j-jms.jar
> and log4j-db.jar.

Err, if the Appenders and Receivers are bundled in *-db.jar et al then
yes we can drop the other webstart jar.

> To set up a JMS connection or JDBC connection takes some effort. I
> don't see how anyone could expect JMS or JDBC to work just by clicking
> on a generic webstart URL. What am I missing?

The way I see it working.  The user places the -db.jar or jms one in a
local directory (the plugin directory) along with the required drivers
and any other dependencies.  this would mean that the core log4j &
chainsaw classes are loaded via the main classloader (which turns out to
be the Webstart classloader).  The PluginClassloader is a child of this,
and can load classes from jars/classes within the Plugin directory. This
would mean that the JMSReceiver and DBReceiver classes can be properly
loaded and used (I hope).

configuration is another question entirely, and requires configuring the
JMSReceiver or DBReceiver somehow.  At the moment there's no way to do
that in the GUI, it would have to be via an xml config I believe (I
honestly have not tried the DB or JMS Receiver/Appender at all.  How
embarassing... :-$). Maybe one day we can improve the Receiver creation
process in Chainsaw (it's one area I'm not happy about at all).

cheers,

Paul Smith