logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Log4j-1.3 autoconfiguration default?
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:20:28 GMT

Hi,

>No, it isn't, but how is a sensible default a "side effect"?  In my
>initializer
>code, and I'd bet 99% of everyone else's initializer code, I would
do...

Just keep in mind that "everyone else" in the above sentence is a mighty
small amount of users.  Your use repository selectors and programmatic
initialization, and that puts you in the vast minority of log4j users
from my experience and observations.  Of course this is subjective and
can't be proven, but Ceki's point that more hocus-pocus = more
maintenance nightmares = less long-term quality is true.

The rest of the stuff I agree with you: a sensible default *for the most
common use cases* is an important thing.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com