logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: RepositorySelector.detachRepository, jetty-plus, gump and PatternLayout.test14
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:54:26 GMT

As I remember it, running log4j-tests by GUMP started failing when jetty
became a dependency of log4j-tests.

Your observation about log4j-tests failing due to the addition of
detachRepository method in RepositorySelector is news to me. Where does
that come form?

The detachRepository method in RepositorySelector ensures that repositories
can be recycled as a web-app is recycled, so it is of paramount importance.

At 09:14 PM 12/22/2004, Curt Arnold wrote:
>This would be really good to resolve.  As it stands, the GUMP automated
>runs of our unit tests have been offline for several months and  there
>is no consistency on the state of our unit tests.  That forces me to
>first figure out what tests are failing before I made a modification,
>hack the code so the rest of the tests pass, and then test my mod.  If
>you know that you are some tests for a while, I don't have a problem
>with the tests being commented out or otherwise bypassed as long as you
>remember to add them back.
>
>So, did we intend to break existing implementations of
>RepositorySelector by adding the detachRepository method?  How can we
>resolve the issue:
>
>Have Jetty declare that it depends on 1.2
>
>implement detachRepository knowing that it would be ignored when
>building on 1.2 (and if so what should it do)
>
>Revert RepositorySelector and introduce a new interface for
>detachRepository
>

>On Dec 21, 2004, at 2:13 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>>The most dreaded nightmare of a new committer is breaking the build.
>>I don't think that I have (and if so only log4j-tests), but I have
>>been having intermittent problems with PatternLayoutTest.test14 and
>>was trying to figure out if it was just me.
>>
>>I was checking Gump and it looks like that log4j-tests haven't been
>>running since August, see
>>http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/logging-log4j/log4j-tests/ index.html.
>>
>>At least one reason for this failure is because jetty-plus no longer
>>builds
>>(http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jetty/jetty-plus/index.html)
>>which appears to be due to detachRepository being added to the
>>RepositorySelector interface back on 30 March 2004.  Don't know why we
>>were able to build in August.
>>
>>Was the change to the RepositorySelector an intentional break of
>>earlier implementations of the interface?
>>
>>p.s. when PatternLayoutTest.test14 fails for me, the output file is
>>empty (the witness file isn't).  I think it is likely a configuration
>>problem, but I have seen it pass then fail on the same checkout.

Ceki Gülcü

   The complete log4j manual: http://qos.ch/log4j/