logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: LoggingEvent serialization compatibility between 1.2 and 1.3
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:45:15 GMT
At 09:20 AM 12/5/2004, Scott Deboy wrote:
>I haven't tried sending events from log4j 1.3 to log4j 1.2.8, but I doubt
>deserialization would work, without more changes to serialization logic.
>
>In 1.3, LoggingEvent contains a new field:
>long sequenceNumber
>The 1.2.8 code wouldn't know what to do with it.
>
>As one of the contributors to an app that can accept
>SocketAppender-generated events, I would also like to see full serial
>compatibility between versions.
>
>I'm not aware of a technical reason that would prevent fully supporting
>serial compatibility between 1.2.9 and 1.3, but such a change requires
>time and incurs a complexity cost on the code, and that's one area where
>I'm sure different folks have different views on the cost vs. benefit of
>such a change, which means such a change is unlikely to be fully supported.

I've been hinting at this for quite some time but apparently not loud
enough.

The reason there was no serious effort to preserve bw compatibility
between 1.2 and 1.3 is performance improvements scheduled for
1.3. Given that we always transmit LoggingEvent objects on the wire, a
protocol specialized for transmitting LoggingEvent objects, and only
LoggingEvent objects, can be made to perform much better than a
generic protocol such as Java serialization. No need to waste time
worrying about MDC or LocationInfo when the whole shebang will be
swept away.

Our new transmission protocol will be simple enough to be implemented
in other languages such as C++ or C#.

Any volunteers to start this work?

--
Ceki Gülcü