logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
Subject RE: JNDISubstitution [was: LogLog Conversion: duplicate effort]
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:41:57 GMT
Hi,

--- Ceki Gülcü <ceki@qos.ch> wrote:
> You mean because of the duplication or because you prefer Digester?

Because of the duplication.  Joran is nice because it's lightweight and simple,
but Digester is more mature and better tested.  I'm never a big fan of
duplication, but I realize in this case Digester's dependencies might be a
showstopper.  So I don't think log4j is at fault at all here.

If I had more spare time I'd try to lobby Senor Donkin (who's been taking care
of Digester virtually by himself for a while now) to just copy that one
ArrayStack class from commons-colletions into Digester itself.  (I know that's
duplication as well, but it's just one class, and the benefits would outweigh
the cos here I think).  Then if we could creatively massage the Digester
dependency on commons-logging such that log4j can be used, voila ;)

It's not trivial, no one's at fault, but it could be nice ;)

Yoav