logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Womack" <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding method to o.a.l.spi.Configurator
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:18:47 GMT

-Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ceki Gülcü" <ceki@qos.ch>
To: "Log4J Developers List" <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 5:36 AM
Subject: RE: Adding method to o.a.l.spi.Configurator

Mark,

IMHO, watching files and urls (including http://) covers most needs
whereas watching sockets is a non-essential feature.  As intimated
previously, I am not extremely thrilled with changing the Configurator
interface. However, if you think an additional method would help, then
so be it.

My previous  question about  the socket and  its interaction  with the
watchdog was  really about the  way the Socket watchdog  would acquire
new  configuration   data.  If   I  recall  correctly,  your  previous
implementation of SocketWatchdog would listen on a socket and wait for
clients to push new config data. However, this requires SocketWatchdog
to have  its own thread to  listen on. As  long as this thread  can be
made  to  stop when  LogManager.shutdown() or repository.shutdown() is
called, then I have no  objections. Otherwise, if the thread will just
hang there  and prevent correct  application recycling, then  we would
have a serious bug on our hands.

As  usual,  I'd  be glad  to  see  test  cases accompanying  this  new
important contribution.

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/log4j/