logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Log4j-1.3 autoconfiguration default?
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:57:22 GMT
At 07:46 PM 11/25/2004, Jacob Kjome wrote:
>(note:  I tried to send this with a zip attachment previously, but the
>whole email was rejected from the list.  I'm sending it to Ceki separately)
>

>Ok, I've tried out 1.3alpha2 and I'm having some problems...
>
>1.  I couldn't figure out how to properly specify a rolling appender with
>a size based triggering policy.  From the examples, it seems that I have
>to combine it with the sliding window rolling policy, and I thought I had
>it set up correctly, but it always bombed out saying that I had to set
>"activeFileName" param.  I did that and it still failed.  In fact, it
>caused Tomcat to fail to start.  I simply moved back to using a time based
>rolling policy for everything and it succeeded, sort of.  Tomcat was able
>to start, but the log shows some nasty stuff.  Read on....

Some recent changes caused SizeBasedTriggerringPolicy to brake. It's an
easy fix but which slipped by. Sorry about that.

>2.  The resulting log file shows some crazy stuff with lots of exceptions,
>seemingly with a root cause of Log4j htting null pointers.  Here's a
>partial stack trace (notice that log4j wasn't compiled with debugging
>info.  Might want to modify the build to add that)...

Definitely debug should be on. You can either wait for me to release alpha3
or build the sucker yourself.

>Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.getLogger(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.getLogger(Log4JLogger.java:229)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.<init>(Log4JLogger.java:65)
>         at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor1.newInstance(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
>         at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:529)
>         ... 19 more

The unknown source makes the trace useless doesn't it?

>I've provided the full log, plus my xml config for log4j as well as a
>.properties config file that works fine with Log4j-1.2.9 just to prove
>that logging with log4j in general works for Tomcat.  So either my config
>file is out of whack or log4j-1.3 is not compatible with
>Tomcat-5.5.x.  Oh, and commons-logging-1.0.4.jar is in common/lib along
>with log4j-1.3.jar.
>
>Thoughts?

I'll fix the SizeBasedWhatever and set debug=on, and then release alpha3 so
you can try it.

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/eclm