logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: failure notice
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:49:54 GMT
On Tuesday 30 November 2004 21:32, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> At 03:39 AM 11/30/2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> anyway, the interesting thing is the problem I have fixing Velocity so
>> Gump is happy ...

> Niclas Hedhman informed us of this problem. There was a conscious choice to
> remove the old RollingAppender and replace with something better.

Gump is just a fuzzy user ;o)
So irregardless of that, how come this mainly incompatible change is being
made in a .x release?
Wouldn't it be so much better to keep the old RFA still in there with a
massive deprecated sign (possibly in the outputs as well), for one cycle?
Even better if the older one delegates to the newer one, but that is less
important...

As the HEAD now is, you are asking an enormous amount of people to make
changes if they want to upgrade to a newer version, which on paper (if anyone
ever believes the Dewey convention) says it is a compatible upgrade with more
features.

But, then again, I am perhaps too sensitive and lazy, to see the beauty of
culling the class without warning.

Cheers
Niclas
--