logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: logging-log4j/src/xdocs faq.xml
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:42:46 GMT
Hi,

To summarize from similar discussions on the commons and tomcat lists:

- Removing author tags without the author's consent: absolutely not,
never.

- Removing author tags with the author's explicit consent in a publicly
archived forum (e.g. any apache mailing list archive, but not a private
email) is OK.

- Using tags like

"@author <a href="http://logging.apache.org <http://logging.apache.org/>
">The Logging Services Team</a>"

is encouraged.

- If the author wants his/her name in the file, that's fine, but authors
are discouraged from putting their email addresses in the file, so
<mailto:fine,%20but%20authors%20are%20discouraged%20from%20putting%20the
ir%20email%20addresses%20in%20the%20file,%20so%22@author>

"@author
<mailto:fine,%20but%20authors%20are%20discouraged%20from%20putting%20the
ir%20email%20addresses%20in%20the%20file,%20so%22@author>  Bob Smith" is
better than

"@author <a href=mailto:bobs@apache.org>"@author <a
href="mailto:bobs@apache.org">file, that's fine, but authors are
discouraged from putting their email addresses in t.

That's about it.

Yoav Shapira

Millennium Research Informatics

4_02

>_18.txt

>    D. Discussion: copyright ownership

>       Although initiated due to the current efforts for Spam Assassin,

>       the board discussed at length the issues and guidelines
regarding

>       copyright ownership for the ASF.  It was agreed that all files

>       should have 1 single copyright to the ASF.  Copyrights extend

>       to the work as a whole, and the ASF must have these.  The

>       use of the CHANGES files should note any "history" regarding

>       copyrights and that the use of 'author' tags should be

>       discouraged for this and other reasons.

>It looks like there is/was discussion on this issue after these minutes

>were produced, so I'm not sure if this was the final word on the
subject.