logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: logging-log4j/src/xdocs faq.xml
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:37:43 GMT
Is it official policy to remove author tags from source files?

Board minutes here discuss the issue:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_02_18.txt

    D. Discussion: copyright ownership

       Although initiated due to the current efforts for Spam Assassin,
       the board discussed at length the issues and guidelines regarding
       copyright ownership for the ASF.  It was agreed that all files
       should have 1 single copyright to the ASF.  Copyrights extend
       to the work as a whole, and the ASF must have these.  The
       use of the CHANGES files should note any "history" regarding
       copyrights and that the use of 'author' tags should be
       discouraged for this and other reasons.

It looks like there is/was discussion on this issue after these minutes were produced, so
I'm not sure if this was the final word on the subject.  Should we be removing author tags?

My 2 cents: It's nice to see who have made changes to source, without having to wander into
viewCVS.