logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: EnhancedHTMLAppender
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:02:52 GMT
Hi Steve,

At 02:31 AM 9/8/2004, you wrote:
>Long time no speak,
>
>I've been very slack on this front and as it seems that 1.3 is gathering
>steam to get released I hope to get the EnhancedHTMLAppender completed in
>the next week.
>
>After leaving it so long, and having to re-read the discussion to work out
>where we were up to I think its time to solve this CSS issue.
>
>My suggestion is to hard-code styles into the top of the style sheet and
>provide the user a property to change a link to override the default styles,
>as suggested here:
>
> > ><HEAD>
> > >   <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
> > >     <!--
> > >       BODY { background-color: white }
> > >     -->
> > >   </STYLE>
> > >   <LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="http://apache.org/~ceki/yellow.css"
> > > TITLE="Basic"/>
> > ></HEAD>

Well, the above probably not such a good idea because the rules for style
cascades are not that simple. Later rules add up on earlier rules except if
they contain already existing properties in which case they mask older
properties. In short, if there are more than one source for styles most
users are likely to get very confused. We don't want to mislead or confuse
users whenever we can help it.

The best solution I can think of consist of linking to a style located at a
well-known URL by default but allow the user to override that default by
specifying an alternative URL if need be. This approach will work out of
the box in 95% of the cases and still allow developers to handle
exceptional cases when necessary.

--
Ceki Gülcü