logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: [POLL] Source code formatting conventions
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:39:55 GMT
At 02:52 PM 9/3/2004, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Hi,
>You're right that development has stopped on the open-source version of
>Jalopy, and that's a negative.  However, Jalopy still works well and IIRC
>still supports a superset of the Eclipse formatting features.

Do we really care whether Japoly is more powerful than Eclipse
formatting? As long as we reach consensus, I think that I'll be
satisfied with any formatter that can enforce 2 spaces for indentation
and correctly places braces.

>We don't want to require log4j developers to use a specific IDE, even if
>it's a free one like Eclipse.

Agreed, but please see my next remark.

>OTOH, I think we can live with commits not being well-formatted and only
>doing the formatting prior to tagging a release, right?  If so, i.e. we
>only require one formatting run prior to tagging a release, then I'm fine
>with changing to the Eclipse formatter.

It looks like my take on the matter is more or less the opposite. :-)

My interest on the formatting problem can be traced back a single
issue. When a commit occurs, I'd like to be able to hone in on the
changes by looking at the CVS notification message. When a developer
makes logical changes to a file and at the same time changes the
indentation, the notification message is rendered, for all practical
purposes, useless. See also
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/faq.html#4.2 in particular items
2 and 3.

It is important to avoid formatting "contests" among ourselves. If
developers X and Y use different formatting rules and decide to
reformat and edit the same file, the results will be not be amusing
for long. If we all agreed to use the same formatting rules, then the
risk for formatting conflicts should be reduced to zero.

I wonder how other projects deal with this matter.

--
Ceki Gülcü