logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject [POLL] Source code formatting conventions
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:32:35 GMT

Hello all,

We used to rely on jalopy as the indentation tool for log4j. For quite
a long time, the japoly plugin for eclipse did not run with version
3.0 of eclipse. This was a show stopper for many developers, including
myself. It appears that the japoly plugin now supports eclipse
3.0. However, Eclipse 3.0 has built-in support for advanced code
formatting and indentation.

With jalopy we are not constrained to use Eclipse in order to format
source code. Japoly has support for an Ant task which can format whole
directories, now just a single file. Japoly also supports other IDEs
such as JBuilder, JDeveloper, jEdit or NetBeans. But do we need to
format whole directories or do we need support for JBuilder? I tend to
think that the answer is no.

Build-in Eclipse formatting support:

Advantages:
   built-in support

Disadvantages:
   dependent on Eclipse 3.0

Jalopy:
Advantages:
   we already use it
Disadvantages:
   requires the installation of Jalopy
   real development *seems* to have shifted to a propriety alternative

How does Eclipse formatting compare with Japoly? Should we consider
switching to Eclipse 3.0 formatting and abandon Jalopy?

--
Ceki Gülcü