logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Moore <moore....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Appender
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:08:19 GMT
I'm unclear how what you're asking for isn't handled by
RollingFileAppender, but all of the major appenders are pretty easy to
customize.  In your log4j.properties/xml file you'd just specify your
new class instead of the standard one.

----- Original Message -----
From: Onyi <cdonyi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Custom Appender
To: log4j-dev@logging.apache.org

Hi,

I am trying to see if I can leverage log4js nice feature of being able
to do book keeping of log files and their sizes (e.g
RollingFileAppender).  I have two files which are backed up everytime
a process runs.  I only want to maintain a certain amount of backup
info.  From those with experience would it be worth trying to extend
one of the existing Appenders in log4j to do this, or is a manual
solution (rolling my own check and verify) the better way to go.  I am
already using log4j in this app so it would be nice if I could piggy
back on it for this functionality.

-D