logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Improving Log4J concurrency, avoiding deadlock
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:27:25 GMT
On Sunday 26 September 2004 18:48, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> In order  to fix bug 24159,  would it be  possible for you to  not log
> from within  a synchronized  resource which is  also used  from within
> rendering code?

May I quietly add, Mr Ross, that this is not at all unique to Log4J as a
subsystem, but to your entire application. Concurrency is a complex issue,
and one need to analyse the subsystems involved.

In my experience, one can assume that subsystems (not any class library) are
by default thread safe, and that means that they contain synchronization
internally, that you should know about.

What you do need to look at is "Are there any callbacks?"

Determining that can be trickier than one first imagine, for instance passing
an Object that will be called (for instance by the nasty and innocent
toString() ), then that is a kind of callback in this context.

If that exists, you need to be very careful about your own synchronization
schemes.

Thank you for your attention and patience if this seems overly basic to you.

Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /